I Wish You ...

Home >> Health >> You are Here
Last modified / updated Jan. 01, 2016
Joint Dislocation
Heart Attack
Neck / Spine Injury
Eye Injury
Chemical Burn

Causes, Symptoms, Prevention, First Aid ...

Chemical Burn or Burn from Chemicals

DEFINITION : Skin exposure to a chemical substance.

CONSIDERATIONS : Chemical exposure is not always obvious. Suspect chemical exposure if an otherwise healthy person becomes ill for no apparent reason, particularly if an empty chemical container is found nearby. The cumulative effects of occupational exposure to chemicals over a prolonged period of time can cause changing symptoms as the chemical builds up in the victim's body. If the victim has a chemical in the eye(s), see first aid for eye emergencies. If the victim has injected a drug, see first aid on drug abuse. If the victim has swallowed or inhaled a dangerous chemical, see first aid on poison.

CAUSES : - skin contact with chemicals can cause either a local reaction or a systemic (overall body) reaction, or both

SYMPTOMS : - abdominal pain - bright red or bluish skin and lips - breathing difficulty - convulsions or seizures - dizziness - headache - hives, itching, swelling, nausea, vomiting, or weakness resulting from an allergic reaction - irritability - pain where the skin has come in contact with the toxic substance - rash, blisters on the skins, burns - unconsciousness

DO NOT : - DO NOT become contaminated by the chemical as you give first aid. - DO NOT try to neutralize any chemical without consulting the Poison control Center or a physician. - DO NOT disturb a blister or remove dead skin from a chemical burn. - DO NOT apply any household remedy such as an ointment or salve to a chemical burn. CALL IMMEDIATELY FOR EMERGENCY MEDICAL ASSISTANCE IF : - the victim is having difficulty breathing, is having seizures, or is unconscious.


  1. Make sure the cause of the burn has been removed. Try not to come in contact with it yourself. If the chemical is dry, brush off any excess. Avoid brushing it into your eyes. Remove any contaminated clothing or jewelry.
  2. Flush the chemicals off the skin surface using cool running water for 15 minutes or more.
  3. Treat the victim for shock if he or she appears faint, pale, or if there is shallow, rapid breathing.
  4. Apply cool, wet compresses to relieve pain.
  5. Wrap the burned area with a dry sterile dressing (if possible) or clean cloth. Protect the burned area from pressure and friction.
  6. Minor chemical burns will generally heal without further treatment. However, if there is a second or third degree burn (the skin has blisters covering an area more than 3 inches in diameter) or if there is a systemic (overall body) reaction, get medical help immediately. In severe cases, don't leave the victim alone and watch carefully for systemic reactions.

Note: If chemical get into the eye(s), the eye(s) should be flushed with water immediately. Continue to flush the eyes with running water for at least 15 minutes. After washing the eyes thoroughly, close the eyelids and cover them with loose, moist dressings. Get medical help immediately.

PREVENTION : - - Many household products are made of toxic chemicals. It is important to read and follow label instructions, including any precautions. - Avoid, prolonged (even low-level) exposure to chemicals. - Buy potentially poisonous substance in safety containers, and buy only as much as needed. - Never store household products in food or drink containers. Leave them in their original containers with the labels intact. - Avoid using potentially toxic substances in the kitchen or around food. - Store chemicals safely immediately after use. - Avoid mixing different products that contain toxic chemicals such as ammonia and bleach. The mixing can give off hazardous fumes. - Use paints, petroleum products, ammonia, bleach, and other products that give off fumes only Back in a well ventilated area. - All chemicals should be stored out of the reach of young children - preferably in a locked cabinet.

Note: The medical knowledge base changes constantly. The information and knowledge on this subject may not be current or may become obsolete. Therefore, it is important that you always refer to the latest update available in the matter. The information provided on this site cannot be treated as current and up-to-date and cannot substitute professional medical advice / treatment and care. This site or its owners in no event shall be liable for any damages or injuries caused by use of any information contained on this site.