Last modified / updated Jan. 01, 2016
Back to Health Tips - Index
Food and Nutrition
Choosing disease-fighting foods - Eating certain foods can help lower your risk of several diseases indicated in the researches.
- Vegetables are loaded with vitamins and minerals, contain fiber, have no cholesterol, and are low in fat and calories. It appears to help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer
and diabetes. Eat a variety to get all the health benefits.
- Fruits are filled with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fiber. Fruits are a major source of flavonoids, substances that may help lower the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancer. Choose a variety of fruits to get the most health benefits.
- Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, trout, tuna, herring and sardines can help reduce your risk of heart disease. Instead of frying, bake or grill the fish.
- Choose whole-grain foods - Eating whole grains may lower your risk of cardiovascular
disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer.
- Using healthy cooking methods - Instead of pouring oil in a pan when you cook, use nonstick
cookware. One tablespoon of vegetable oil has 120 calories and 14 grams of fat.
- You should try different cooking methods - Cook in Microwave or steam vegetables. Then dress them up with
flavored vinegars, herbs and spices.
- In most recipes, you can reduce sugar, salt and fat by one-third to one-half without sacrificing taste.
- Tomatoes reduce the risk of heart attack: Tomatoes are a rich source of lycopene. Lycopene is a potent antioxidant.
- Musk Melon (Kharbuja/ Sarda) - It is a rich source of vitamin 'C' and is effective in reducing body heat.
- Cabbage helps cure ulcers and prevents colon cancer: Cabbage is a well-known common vegetable. It is low in calories and is long known for its healing properties.
- Bitter Gourd (Karela) - Health Benefits: Bitter Gourd is a tropical vegetable. It is a well-known cure for diabetes.
- Papaya - A rich source of Minerals and Fiber: Papaya has high nutritional benefits. It is rich in Anti-oxidants, Minerals and Fiber. It also helps in Skin Treatments.
- Oats - Fiber food that cures constipation: Oats have some unique fatty acids and antioxidants which together with Vitamin E slow cell damage.
- Watermelon is highly refreshing during summer. It does not contain cholesterol and helps in eye sight also.
- Banana helps in the treatment of depression, anemia, blood pressure, Brain power, Constipation, etc.
- Almond (Badam) Consumption of Almond lowers cholesterol levels, reduces the risk of lifestyle diseases and gives overall wellness.
- Egg is a healthy and nutritious food. Lecithin in eggs prevents the absorption of cholesterol of egg and other sources too.
- Calcium Builds Strong Bones. Get calcium from greens, beans, or fortified foods. Vitamin D controls your body's use of calcium.
- Mushrooms are rich in minerals, vitamin D (ergosterol), thiamin (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), dietary fiber as well as all the essential amino acids and are low in fat and calories.
- Gooseberry (Amla): Rich in Vitamin C: Amla or Gooseberry has many nutritious benefits. The amla has been found to be the most abundant source of Vitamin C in the plant kingdom.
- Nutritious and balanced diet is a must to free ourselves from the physical and mental diseases and relieve stress