Home Remedies for Common Ailments
Click to Go Index Page of Health Section
For Common Injuries, Depression, Vitamin, Minerals, Calories & more
- Chew a few basil (tulsi ) leaves to obtain relief from blazing, nausea and gas
- Stay a small part of jaggery (gur) in your jaws and slowly suck it. Repeat it each hour till acidity subsides. One of the best home remedies for acidity.
- Eat watermelon, banana or cucumber each hour.
- Eat a few almonds when your experience heartburn symptoms. Gulp coconut water 4-5 periods a day.
- Drink a glass of cold milk for quick relief of heartburn and acidity
- Acquire one piece of clove and suck on it gradually
- Drink fresh mint juice gradually after meals. This remedy is one of the best Home Remedies for Acidity
- Drink every day a 1 tsp juice of chebulic myrobalan mixed with 1 tsp of amla (Indian gooseberry) juice. This is another Home Remedy for Acidity.
- Maintaining an standing posture for some time after food will help in preventing reaction
- Drink coconut water 3-4 times a day.
- Chewing a piece of harad is an age old remedy.
- Clean face with cotton wool dipped in rose water 2-3 times a day. Do not use soap.
- Apply lemon juice and rose water in equal amount with a cotton ball and leave for half an hour and wash. Repeat this remedy for 20-25 days.
- Mix 3-4 drops of lemon juice in 1 tablespoon of sour cream, 1 tablespoon of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of grind oatmeal. Apply on face, leave the paste for 10-15 minutes and wash.
- Orange peel is very good in the treatment of acne. Grind the peel with some water to a paste and apply on affected parts. when oranges are not in season, you may use a powder of dried orange peels. For this, when oranges are in season, dry orange peels in shade. Powder finely in a grinder and sift it to make it a very fine powder. Store in an air tight bottle for future use.
- A good home remedy is the egg yolk mask which removes the excessive oils from your skin. Apply the egg yolk with a cotton ball to oily spots and leave this on your face for 15 minutes to 20 minutes and wash with cold water.
- Mix 1 tablespoon groundnut oil with 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice and apply this on acne to prevent acne.
- Take small amount of ground almonds and honey and make a fine paste. Gently massage this paste on your face with a hot washcloth and then rinse with cold water.
- Make a fine paste from sandalwood and black gram. Apply rose water on the face before applying paste. Now apply paste over the whole face and leave it overnight. Clean your face clean with cool water in the morning. Sandalwood has a cooling effect and it does a great job of reducing skin inflammation and irritation because it.
- Mix 1/2 cup mashed apple, 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal, 1 slightly beaten egg white and 1 tablespoon lemon juice into a fine paste and apply to your face for at least 15 minutes to 20 minutes and rinse with cold water.
- Mix honey and cinnamon powder into a fine paste. Apply on the acne pimples before sleeping and wash it next morning with warm water. Repeat for 2-3 weeks, pimples will disappear forever.
- Make a paste of one half teaspoon each of sandalwood and turmeric (haldi) powder in a little water and apply. . Wash it off after 25-30 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Keep away from tough tea/coffee, soft drinks and processed foods
- Boil 1 cup mustard oil (sarson ka tel) with 4 tablespoon henna (mehendi) leaves. Filter and bottle. Massage on the bald patches regularly.
- Grind the remains of tobacco smoked in a hookah and add to boiling mustard oil. Cool and store. Massage on the bald patches regularly.
- Grind 1 tablespoon liquorice root pieces (mulathi) in 1 cup milk with one fourth teaspoon saffron (kesar). Apply this paste on bald patches at bedtime continuously.
- Grind fenugreek seeds (methi dana), with water and apply on the head. Leave for at least 40 minutes before washing. Do it every morning for a month.
- Mix 1 teaspoon lime juice in 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon (dalchini) powder and apply on affected areas frequently.
- Mix 1 teaspoon each turmeric (haldi) powder and juice of fresh coriander (dhania) leaves and apply daily as a face pack before going to sleep.
Cholesterol - high
- Finely dice an onion and mix it with 1 cup buttermilk along with one fourth teaspoon black pepper (kali mirch) powder and drink.
- Regularly intake garlic (lasan) cloves for a few days.
- Regularly intake coriander (dhania) decoction made by boiling 2 teaspoon dry seed powder in 1 cup water. (Milk and sugar can be added to improve its taste. This could be a welcome substitute for tea or coffee.)
- Keep away from Rich Food
- Avoid food via animal origin; Avoid palm and coconut oil
- Be habitual Physical Exercise.
- The quantity of fibre in the diet also influences the cholesterol levels and LDL cholesterol can be lowered by taking diets rich in fibres.
- A lemon a day keeps the cold away. For a bad cold, the juice of two lemons in one half a litre (2one half cups) of boiling water sweetened with honey, taken at bed time, is a very effective remedy.
- Have ginger (adrak) tea.
- Boil ginger in water. Give 8-10 boils. Strain, sweeten with one half teaspoon sugar and drink hot.
- A tablespoon of carom seeds (ajwain) crushed and tied up in a muslin cloth can be used for inhalation to relieve congestion/blocked nose.
- A teaspoon of cumin seeds (jeera) is added to 1 glass of boiling water. Strain and simmer for a few minutes. Let it cool. Drink it 1-2 times a day. If sore throat is also present, add a few small pieces of dry ginger (adrak) to the boiling water.
- Six pepper corns (saboot kali mirch) finely ground and mixed with a glass of warm water, sweetened with 5-6 batasha (a variation of sugar candy) can be taken for a few nights.
- In the case of the acute cold in the head, boil 1 tablespoon full pepper powder in a cup of milk along with a pinch of turmeric (haldi) and have once daily for at least 3 days. cold with phlegm (balgam) and slight cough.
- Take 8-10 tulsi leaves and wash well. To 1 cup of water, add these tulsi leaves, 1-2 cloves of garlic (lasan), one half piece ginger, crushed and 4-5 pepper corns (saboot kali mirch). Boil the water till it is reduced to one fourth cup. Drink this every morning.
Constipation for adults
- 'A healthy stomach is a healthy body'. Many diseases have their roots in the digestive system. Constipation is a very common problem affecting a lot of people. Wrong eating habits, sedentary lifestyle & sluggish intestines are the main reasons. If the stomach is not cleared well, it leads to a lot of problems such as headaches, gas etc. However, use of laxatives should be discouraged as it is habit forming and also harmful in the long run. Here are some tips to relieve you of your problem. (It will take some time but be persistent and you will surely benefit).
- Take a hot glass of water with 1 teaspoon honey and juice of one half a lemon first thing in the morning.
- Soak 6-8 dates (khajoor) in a cup of water at night. Grind in the mixer & drink in the morning.
- Simply eat a few liquorice (mulathi) sticks. One of its many properties is that it is a natural laxative.
Constipation for small children
- Soak 6-8 raisins (kishmish) in hot water (depending on the age). When cool, crush well and strain. When given routinely even to little infants, it helps to regulate bowel movement (however care should be taken - so as not to give too much otherwise the child will get loose motions.)
- Consumption of 6-8 apricots (khurmani) a day or 2-3 cucumbers (kheera) a day or 1-2 bananas a day is also very useful.
- Vegetables like carrots, radish, spinach, cabbage or roughage creating things should be consumed. Instead of juice always opt for eating the fruit.
- Whole wheat flour should be used and processed foods (maida, cheese, confectionery) should be avoided.
- Taking 2-3 teaspoon of isabgol in milk or warm water either first thing in the morning or at bed time is very beneficial.
- Mix one half teaspoon honey to one half - 1 cup warm water and have it 2-3 times a day.
- Mix equal amounts of honey and ginger (adrak) juice. For better results warm the mixture a little & then have it. Have 1 teaspoon, 2-3-4 times a day.
- Three black pepper corns (kali mirch) sucked with a pinch of black cumin (shah jeera) and a pinch of salt.
- Mix 1 teaspoon pepper powder with 4 teaspoon gur (jaggery). Make small balls. Suck 3-4 balls/tablets during the day.
- Mix equal amounts of pepper powder and sugar candy (mishri) by weight. Mix enough pure ghee to form small balls. Suck one ball/tablet 3-4 times a day. Avoid - curd, bananas, ice, rice fried and cold foods.
- 1 teaspoon of basil (tulsi) leaves juice 2-3 times a day for children. Tulsi leaves can be crushed to a paste and the paste squeezed through a clean muslin cloth to get juice.
- Turmeric is a useful remedy for colds and throat irritations. Half a teaspoon of fresh turmeric powder mixed in 30 ml of warm milk, and taken once or twice each day helps in relief.
Cough with Phlegm (balgam)
- Mix equal amounts of onion juice & honey. Have 1 teaspoon 3-4 times a day. This is a preventive medicine against cold in winter.
- Chew a clove (laung) with a pinch of salt to ease expectoration and relieve irritation in throat.
- Add one fourth teaspoon salt, 3 teaspoon brown sugar or ordinary sugar and 2 teaspoon lime juice to 1 cup of water, mix well and drink.
- Soak 2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana) in water overnight. In the morning grind into a fine paste. Apply all over scalp and leave for one half an hour. Wash with Shikakai or mild shampoo.
- Boil a handful of neem leaves in 4 teacups of water. After cooling and filtering use for rinsing hair Dehydration due to diarrhoea Soak half a nutmeg (jaiphal) in 2 cups water for over 2-3 hours. Take 1 teaspoon of this infusion and mix in 1 cup fresh coconut water.
- Mash a ripe banana along with 1 tablespoon honey and eat twice a day for a few days.
- Frequently intake lime juice. Take one fourth teaspoon turmeric (haldi) along with a glass of hot water 2 or 3 times daily.
- one half teaspoon ginger juice with 1 teaspoon each fresh lime and mint (pudina) juice mixed with a tablespoon of honey, taken frequently.
- Finely grind some bel leaves. Take 1 teaspoon of this paste along with a pinch of black pepper and follow it with 1 cup of buttermilk thrice a day.
- A fine paste of tender papaya leaves, about one half teaspoon paste, is taken with some water.
- Pour over a handful of lime leaves in 1 cup hot water and take the infusion.
- Make a fine powder of 1 teaspoon each crushed liquorice (mulathi) root, chicory seeds (kaasni) and rock salt (kala namak). Take one half teaspoon with water twice daily.
Joint pains (arthritis, rheumatism, gout)
- Squeeze half a lime (lemon) in one glass of hot water (as hot as you can drink) and drink it. Have this 8-10 times a day. Having lemon juice might seem like a contradiction to what you have always believed that sour things are bad for joint pains but the action of lemon in the body is alkaline and its rich vitamin C content is valuable in the treatment of joint pains. Initially for a few days you might feel that the pain is increasing but gradually it decreases.
- A diet of only bananas for 3-4 days is advised. You can have 8-9 bananas a day.
- Make a tea from papaya seeds and have 6-7 cups a day for at least 2 weeks.
- Have 1-2 garlic (lasan) cloves or 1 garlic (lasan), which has only 1 clove in a pod, first thing in the morning.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of dry amla powder with 2 teaspoon of jaggery (gur) and have it twice daily for a month.
- Regularly massage with neem oil. Take a handful of fresh neem leaves. Grind them in the mixer. Strain. Add lemon juice and drink 1-2 times a day on an empty stomach (people prone to acidity should not have this).
- Take equal quantities of asparagus seeds (shatavari), black cumin seeds (shah jeera), fenugreek (methi daana) seeds and carom seeds (ajwain). Powder and take one half teaspoon every morning.
- Combine 6 teaspoons each of ginger (adrak) and caraway seed (shah jeera) along with 3 teaspoon of black peppercorns (saboot kali mirch) and grind into a fine powder. Have one half teaspoon with water twice daily.
- Soak 1-2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi daana) in a cup of curd overnight. Eat in the morning on an empty stomach or soak 1-2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi daana) in 1 cup water overnight. Drink the water first thing in the morning and also eat the methi seeds.
- On an empty stomach have 3-4 walnuts (akhrot) or fresh coconut for a few days.
- Mix lime juice with honey and water. Drink a glass of this every morning. with one fourt teaspoon powdered black pepper (kali mirch) and 1 teaspoon honey along with 1 cup water and drink for 3 months.
- Take 1 teaspoon lime juice with 1 cup water in the morning.
- Eat 10 fresh, fully grown curry leaves (curry patta) every morning for 3 to 4 months.
- Mix 1 teaspoon fresh juice of mint (pudina) leaves with 1 teaspoon lemon juice & 1 tablespoon honey. Take 3 times a day.
- Boil a mashed ripe banana in 1 teacup milk & take 2-3 times a day.
- Mix juice of 15-20 tender curry leaves (kadi patta) with 1 teaspoon honey & drink.
- Take 1 tablespoon black cumin seeds (kala jeera) and roast them. Mix in another tablespoon of black cumin seeds (unroasted) and powder them finely. Take one half teaspoon of this powder with a glass of water everyday.
- Wash 2-3 dried figs (anjeer) very well & soak in a glass of cold water overnight. Have it first thing in the morning. Similarly have figs in the evening that have been soaked in the morning. Have them for 2-3 weeks for good results. It is effective in ordinary as well as bleeding piles.
- Take 3 teaspoon of the juice of the leaves of bitter gourd (karela) mixed with a glassful of buttermilk taken every morning for a month is a good remedy for piles.
- The juice of radish (mooli) or consuming fresh radish is very effective. The juice should be given in doses of 60-90 ml morning & evening.
- Take one half teaspoon each of powder of dried pomegranate flowers (anaar daana), poppy seeds (khuskhus) & dried neem leaves, twice a day with milk for bleeding piles. Consuming buttermilk after food is very beneficial in the treatment and eradication of piles. Mix one fourth teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) powder & rock salt (white) to your buttermilk.
Precaution : Constipation should be avoided as it leads to an aggravation of piles.
- Mix one fourth teaspoon each powdered cumin (jeera) and black pepper in a glass of buttermilk (chhach). Drink two or three times a day for 2-3 days.
- Mix salt with finely powdered rind of lime (nimbu ka chilka). Use this as toothpowder frequently.
- Burn the shells of almonds and powder. Use as toothpowder.
Vomiting and Nausea
- Licking the powder of fried cloves (laung) mixed with honey controls vomiting.
- Sucking a piece of ice also controls vomiting.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoon of curry leaves (curry patta) juice with a teaspoon of lime juice (can add little sugar if needed). Drinking this will control morning sickness, nausea and vomiting.
- Crush 2-3 cloves of garlic (lahsun) and boiled with 3/4 cup of water or milk. Boil till half the amount remains and then drink. It takes care of all digestive disorders.
- Mix one half teaspoon of fresh ginger (adrak) juice with 1 teaspoon each of fresh lime, mint (pudina) juices and 1 tablespoon of honey and drink.
- Slice a ripe banana. Sprinkle some powdered sugar and freshly ground cardamoms (chhoti illaichi) on top. Eat 1-2 times a day.
- Eat one half teaspoon ground cumin seeds (jeera).
- Ginger (adrak) tea or sucking sliced ginger helps.
- Powdered cinnamon (dalchini) and sliced ginger (adrak) work by interrupting nausea signals sent from the stomach to the brain. If you are a herbal tea drinker, simply sprinkle powdered cinnamon on the tea and drink. To make ginger tea, simply simmer a few slices of ginger in hot tea water.
- Apply coconut oil on the portions of skin and face where wrinkles set in and gently massage every night at bed time.
- Soak shredded ginger (adrak) in honey. Eat a spoonful every morning. Yellow pigmentation in eyes due to jaundice.
- Grind one fourth teaspoon black cumin seeds (kala jeera) in breast milk and introduce a pinch into the nostrils.
Apply honey on the length and breadth of a banana leaf and lie on it for a few hours. Ensure its contact with the affected parts.
Disclaimer:The owner of this website do not make any claim regarding the information being provided herein and in case of any specific problem Doctor's consultation be obtained. If any loss or damage is caused to any person due to the information/contents or interpreting the contents of the website the owner will not be liable in any manner whatsoever for such loss or damage.