Back to Health Tips - Index
Bones and Joints
For preventing osteoporosis
- Get proper nutrition and regular physical activity.
- Eat calcium-rich foods - Dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese are the richest
sources of calcium. Fat-free and low-fat products, calcium-
fortified orange juice and cereals, fish with edible bones, and
certain vegetables (such as rhubarb,soybeans and spinach) are
- Get enough vitamin D - The body can produce vitamin D from exposure to sunlight. Vitamin D is essential for enhancing the amount of calcium that ultimately reaches your bones.
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid smoking and excessive drinking of alcohol - Smoking increases the rate of bone loss. Regularly drinking more than moderate levels of alcohol can hasten bone loss and reduce ability to absorb calcium.
- Combine rest with gentle movement - Moderate movement keeps your muscles strong and flexible.
- Living with arthritis: if you have arthritis, assistive devices may allow you to be more independent with daily tasks.